jueves, 16 de febrero de 2017

MODAL VERBS: choose


1. Ted's flight from Amsterdam took more than 11 hours. He had better / can / must be exhausted after such a long flight.

2. The book is optional. My professor said we could read it if we needed extra credit. But we must not / cannot / don't have to read it if we don't want to.

3. Susan can't / couldn't / might not hear the speaker because the crowd was cheering so loudly.

4. The television isn't working. It must  / must have been / must be damaged during the move.

5. Kate: Are you able to / Might you / Can you hold your breath for more than a minute?
Jack: No, I can't.

6. You don't have to / shouldn't /  can't be rich to be a success. Some of the most successful people I know haven't got a penny to their name.

7. I've redone this math problem at least twenty times, but my answer is wrong according to the answer key. The answer in the book have to / must / should be wrong!

8. You couldn't / won't be able to /   can't do the job if you didn't speak Japanese fluently.

9. You shouldn't / don't have to /    can't worry so much. It doesn't do you any good. Either you get the job, or you don't. If you don't, just apply for another one. Eventually, you will find work.

10. You ought to / should / have to be kidding! That can't be true.

11. You may / might / would leave the table once you have finished your meal and politely excused yourself.

12. Jenny's engagement ring is enormous! It must be costing / must cost / must have cost a fortune.

13. Shall / Must / Will we move into the living room? It's more comfortable in there and there's a beautiful view of the lake.

14. If I had gone white water rafting with my friends, I would be floating  /  would float /  would have float down the Colorado River right now.

15. At first, my boss didn't want to hire Sam. But, because I had previously worked with Sam, I told my boss that he must / has to / ought to take another look at his resume and reconsider him for the position.

16. You had better / can / has to take along some cash. The restaurant may not accept credit cards.

17. The machine may turn / could be turning / can be turned on by flipping this switch.

18. I can't stand these people - I had better / have got to / might get out of here. I'm going to take off for awhile while you get rid of them.

19. You don't have  to / mustn't / couldn't forget to pay the rent tomorrow. The landlord is very strict about paying on time.

20. Do you always have to say the first thing that pops into your head. Can't / Can not / Don't can you think once in a while before you speak?

21. Terry and Frank said they would come over right after work, so they can / have to / should be here by 6:00.

22. Yesterday, I must / should / had to cram all day for my French final. I didn't get to sleep until after midnight.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario