martes, 10 de enero de 2017

Relative clauses


5 Complete the sentences with the relative pronouns below. Ommit when possible.


1. The Nile, ……………… is the longest river in the world, is in Africa.
2. This is the place ……………… we decided to have lunch.
3. Peter, ……………… lives in India, often sends me text messages.
4. Nicole met Ben in 2003 ……………… he was visiting France.
5. Frank, ……………… wife sells computers, doesn’t know what a chat room is.
1. Did you meet the people ……………… bought your house?
2. Here is the mobile phone ……………… the boss ordered.
3. The first language ……………… I learned was German.
4. They couldn’t remember the time ……………… they first met.
5. There’s a TV downstairs ……………… you can watch the football match.
7 Complete the sentences. Add a relative pronoun and the words below.
teach sign language I found cheap plane tickets mother speaks Japanese his son was born the boss sent
1. Robert said he would always remember the moment .
2. This is the website .
3. Are these the teachers ?
4. Did everyone receive the memo ?
5. Where is the student ?

1. She knows Antonio Bear, ……………………… is an excellent translator.
2. He uses American Sign Language, ……………………… is different from British Sign Language.
3. The Bahamas, ……………………… my friends have gone on holiday, is supposed to be beautiful.
4. His father, ……………………… mother tongue is English, speaks French quite well.
5. Molly was born in 1996, ……………………… my sister was just one.

1. She fell in love with a boy. His father works in Africa.
2. That is the shop. I bought my new shoes there.
3. I’ll never forget that day. I first saw you then.
4. Where can I find a shop? It sells drumsticks.
5. This is the guide. He will take you on a tour of the city.

1. Do you know anyone ……………… speaks Welsh?
2. She uses her computer, ……………… is in her living room, to keep in touch with her family.
3. Eric met a boy ……………… father works in Hong Kong.
4. My family travelled to Japan, ……………… my grandmother is living.
5. Abigail teaches judo, ……………… is her favourite sport.
6. I miss the days ……………… we had so much free time.


3 Combine the sentences using either a defining or a non-defining relative clause.

I'd like to thank the man. He called the police after the accident.

The Rowland Hotel has got an excellent reputation. It has been in business for over 60 years.

Do you remember that night? We all met for the first time then.

7 Combine the sentences using a relative pronoun. Make any necessary changes.

1 Dr Smith is retiring. He is an excellent doctor.

2 A lady knocked on our door. I didn't recognise her.

3 The tour group visited Stradford-upon-Avon. Shakespeare was born there.

4 Our TV broke down again last night. We've had it for years.

5 Show me the article. You wrote it for the paper.

2 Combine the sentences using a relative pronoun. Make any necessary changes.
1. My neighbour won the gardening prize. His garden is beautiful.
2. He misses his house. It was destroyed in the fire.
3. Leonid Stadnyk is the tallest man in the world. He lives in  Ukraine.
4. He returned to visit the town. He was born there.

Combine the sentences using either a defining or a non-defining relative clause.

You should go to the shop. I bought my CD player there.


My sister Ellen is married and has got two children. She lives in Canada.


The boy is my friend. His sister is in my class.




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario